Monday, December 5, 2011

The Abandoned


‘Guess what?’ he said, with a newborn’s bewilderedness to his tone.

‘Are you cooking our kitten tonight?’

‘No.’

‘The rascal kid next-door?’

‘No, no…’

‘Then, is it a unicorn for dinner?’

‘No, no, no…!’

‘So it can’t be very much exciting as, hmm…but anyway go on and tell me what it is’, she allowed him, with an indulged benevolence only a wife can bestow.

‘I… well… See, I want you to listen carefully because I’m going to tell you this just once, there’s not going to be any discussion, nor any forgetfulness, and two years from now if ever you wanted to recall this day I want your memory to be a clean, blank slate to not recall and utter one word from it.’

‘So what I want to tell you is’, he continued, ‘I’m quitting as a homemaker. In other words, I will no longer be cooking, except maybe for making tea, as and when I feel like it.’


It’s been two years since and there’s no knowing how things transpired and how well it all went because they moved house long time ago.

I’d like to believe they had the baby – I recall they had a quarrel whether to keep it or not keep it, like it was about some toy – and it all went rosy and as planned but how am I to know all that just being conscious and nothing more.

I still hear echoes of the many conversations they had had from the spaces they once occupied, calling each others names, words of admiration and more such.

For a house, I cannot vacuum the accumulated dust off my floor, get the webs growing out of my corners wiped clean, nor can I cement the breaks in my walls.

A house is some good, a sentient house even more so, but an abandoned house, sentient or not, is no good, wouldn’t you say.

Now is that a knock at the door or a creak or both? I hope it’s not one of those moments where I heard it just in my head.






4 comments:

  1. Like always, your story succeeds in making the reader smile for some unknown reason! Liked the "subtle shockers" you carved in so carefully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruhi. Nice that you decipher subtle shockers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly speaking i didnt completely get it! The plot and the concept I was able to get.. but the writer.. the "I" in here seems confusing..

    Other than that loved the last lines.. it has some thing in it.. that it speaks for itself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krishnapriya There's one narrator whom you get to detect in the second portion. The first portion is the recollection of that narrator of a moment - the moment recollected almost verbatim.

    Thanks for appreciating..

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are invaluable

Site Meter