Monday, May 2, 2011

Meat and Bone


Sometimes he does dine like a glutton. To a ‘have you a minute,’ he’d say ‘I soon must’ if he’s at the middle of it. Once the five of us were at a diner and that was when we had the call from Enoch. It was an emergency of the kind if you didn’t face it once in your lifetime you didn’t appreciate enough your life of being in one piece. Needless to say our Occasional Glutton was at it and ‘I’ll be off in five’ is what he said taking a chunk off the steak with that incisor of his. Enoch was on his way to join us. He submits to overtimes at work like concubines to kings. So when Avani received the call that’s what we all thought – master has slave on a short leash, until the iPhone was passed over to me. I being an expert whiskey chooser, in the two seconds I had made my mind up, when I’m asked it, to say no to JD and yes to WT. That’s what he’d ask about every time he had a fair to good Saturday which by the way isn’t often. Oh boy! What did I hear? She went ‘Oh my god! My mom’s now going to keep saying you’re not only marrying a Christian, a handicapped one at that.’ I wanted to say all Christians are handicapped but some more than the others. I managed somehow to not blurt that out. The origin of this train of thought of mine must be blamed on Glutton. Earlier when we were in conversation and talking about girls, beauty and such he said firmly that all boys are handsome but some more so than the others adding he was merely citing a femmunist. To the ‘do you mean feminist’ he’d bite through the chopstick, gloat and sulk. I knew he made the quote up, because it was I who gave him a copy of Animal Farm thinking it to be kids’ lit, but Avani believed him. She would look at me and mumble ‘Why should this happen to me,’ to which I’d cryptically nod my head. Then she would call the Glutton by its name and ask ‘Why should this happen to him,’ to which he’d look blah. Say this prescience of Avani went on for five minutes, our Glutton when asked if he’s done with what he’s been doing since god knows when said “I’ll be off in five’ - again, which was when we were forced to manhandle the thing to its Audi. She was in too much daze to drive. The two new lovebirds, even a quake couldn’t shake the spell they’re under. You heard of conjoined twins. They’re conjoined lovers. I, who could drive between my legs Harley, couldn’t drive that luxury – the reason as to why you wouldn’t want to hear. That was an eve the slim glutton picked us all up for one long drive.

A Nano T-boned on Enoch’s Enfield with his leg sandwiched between them. The onlooker, who incidentally was a Ray-Ban'ed at dusk medical student, kept reassuring him in a rather explicit manner that he suffered for certain a crush injury that would warrant knives, cauterization, plates, screws and god knows what else. ‘That frigging obsessive god knows what piece of defecation,’ Enoch later would refer to this person as, in one of those rehab sessions, with the PT beside us. I’m not sure if I must go into the details about our arrival at the accident site, the behavior of Avani in particular when she saw him holding his bleeding leg, fractured tibia crisscrossing through the puncture wound, saying you would’ve seen like encounters in movies and it wasn't anything like that. I half expected her to put up one of those acts and she didn’t. My respect for her considerably grew. The ambulance was awaited. Such things take time and patience. Cops came and went. The Enfield stood like it took little (and the Nano half burned up). The angle it got its hit must’ve been funny. He’s limp with only so much trauma is due only to its crash bar. I lit up a cigarette and offered one to Glutton. He turned it down and moved close to be with the other five. Give the near-dead some room to breathe. They won’t. I looked around the crossroads and the traffic rolled on a pace like nothing happened. I looked up at the sky, wished for a sky-quake, and that felt a bit better. In a moment like this if glutton stares at you your nut won’t just crack but go up in smoke. The perpetrator stands there fidgety as the next guy would be. Glutton goes up to him. This guy who is anticipating a slap or much worse freezes with repetitious sorry’s on his lips. Glutton says to him ‘’Cheer up, he’ll be alright. Yours caught fire, huh!’ The guy begins to shiver and sob like the kid you get to see at minutes 33 seconds 56 of Boardwalk Empire Episode One. No tobacco, no alcohol in a quarter century’s worth of godforsaken life. Guy’s pure vegan too, Avani comes and tells us at the hospital, with that stress on Pure. Poor chap nearly killed a man. After what seemed like quarter to eternity there came the sound of siren.


To promote at IndiVine



5 comments:

  1. Ruhi Švankmajer the person or his storytelling...? I've seen his take on Jabberwocky. Nothing intentional here (but what is obvious) though I see, dumbfounded, we share the same B'day! Do I take it as a compliment...or was it in any way off-putting?

    Thanks for your time and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one again.
    The initial parts reminded me of a certain filmmaker: Jan Svankmajer.
    The latter portions, I enjoyed immensely. Terrific narration from a strangely detached perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ruhi - Švankmajer the person or his storytelling...? I've seen his take on Jabberwocky. Nothing intentional here (but what is obvious) though I see, dumbfounded, we share the same B'day! Do I take it as a compliment...or was it in any way off-putting?

    Thanks for your time and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. narration is definitely key here, higly engaging and absorbing.Its almost like watching it happen.really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nishkam Razdan  You're one fine reader (to state the inconspicuous) which is the best thing an aspiring writer can have.
    Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are invaluable

Site Meter